Sunday 8 January 2012

Children's party

A delightful girl's birthday party provided some much needed colour and comfort to a cold January day yesterday. Simon says, pass the parcel and some dancing. A lovely Gruffalo picnic on the floor.
It may be past twelfth night but I keep seeing left up Christmas lights. I do think we are quick to dismiss Christmas these days. A former colleague used to put her decorations up on 1 December and take them down on Boxing Day as to her, Christmas was over. A clear sign that the Christian element to Christmas is never considered by some. I admit to not lasting out to twelfth night this year simply due to work commitments.
I do think we are obsessed with our homes. So many seem to strive for the immaculate home - the show home. I wonder how many of us actually live like that? I do know one who does. The house was all neutral shades and cream carpets - leather sofa and matching frames etc. However, it could have been anybody's house. There was none of the history - items collected over time, photo frames, child's artwork etc. Instead it was a shrine to the Next catalogue or hotel room. I prefer to have items collected over time, one off pieces, antiques, books, photos etc. My eclectic taste doesn't make for a show home - it comes out all disjointed, perhaps somewhat confused. There is a heavy Arts & Crafts influence, books providing colour and possibly confusion. It's all about history, the family and not all chosen to coordinate and updated every year to match new decor.

No comments:

Post a Comment